Sr. Sue Bruno, OSF, resident director of Fields Hall, has received a 2016 Spirit of Holy Cross Award, given annually to lay collaborators of the Congregation of Holy Cross, United States Province of Priests and Brothers. The award recognizes those who devotedly work to fulfill Blessed Basil Moreau’s vision and mission to “make God known, loved, and served” a reality at the Congregation’s education, parish, and mission apostolates.
Sr. Bruno is a member of the Franciscan religious order. She is in her fifth year at UP as Fields Hall director, and spent 15 years at the University of Notre Dame working in a variety of capacities, including as the rector of Pasquerilla West Hall, in campus ministry, as the women’s basketball team chaplain, and as a member of the Moreau Seminary Formation Board. She also served on the selection committee for the Alliance for Catholic Education for 15 years, and was a founding member of the Standing Committee on Gay and Lesbian Student Needs Committee. Sr. Bruno served in congregational leadership with the Joliet Franciscans for four years. She has a bachelor’s degree in English literature from College of St. Francis, Ill., and a master’s of social work from Loyola University of Chicago.
“Sr. Sue has been a faith-filled and extraordinary collaborator with Holy Cross at the University of Portland and at the University of Notre Dame,” according to Rev. John Donato, C.S.C., vice president for student affairs. “For twenty years she has given herself entirely to the service and support of her resident students, truly knowing and understanding them and providing a great example of religious life. She has led the Encounter with Christ retreats, been a formation staff member for seminarians, and quite simply, has been an excellent friend to so many of us. Sr. Sue and I are in our fifth year of service in Fields Hall and I could not be more proud of her. I am honored to call her my colleague and friend.”
The 2016 Spirit of Holy Cross Award recipients are:
- Jim Kavanagh, administrator at Corby Hall (Notre Dame)
- Diane Welihan, administrator at Moreau Seminary (Notre Dame)
- Enedina Cruz, housekeeping supervisor for all local houses at Notre Dame
- Sue Bruno, OSF, resident hall director of Fields Hall (University of Portland)
- Anne Noone, secretary president, John Ryan, C.S.C. (King’s College)
- Ken Percy, union steward for facility workers (Stonehill College)
- Suzanne Wewi, retiring principal of St. Joseph Grade School (South Bend, Ind.)
- Mary Flood, former religious education coordinator at Sacred Heart-St. Francis de Sales (Bennington, Vt.)
- Ted Dunne, longtime associate of Andre House (Phoenix, Ariz.)
- Wayne and Diane Murdy, donors of the new organ in Sacred Heart Basilica (Notre Dame).
The Holy Cross community at University of Portland will formally honor Sr. Bruno at a Mass and dinner in January 2017 as part celebrations of Holy Cross founder Blessed Basil Moreau’s life. Honorees will receive a proclamation of gratitude signed by Provincial Superior Fr. Tom O’Hara on behalf of the entire U.S. Province.
For more information contact the Congregation of Holy Cross at 503.943.8024 or email@example.com.