Congratulations to our retiring faculty! The University Archives and Museum have a new blog post recognizing these nine members of the University faculty for their many years of service. Visit this site for a slideshow of the honored retirees and see how they’ve changed over the years.
In the century plus since our founding, the University has seen a lot, and been through a lot of ups and downs. Triumphs (yeah, like this year’s women’s basketball WCC championship!!!) as well as times of scarcity and disruption have marked our journey from then to now. Working from the archives in the deep basements of The Bluff, we have had a chance to look back and perchance reflect. Today’s offering from the University Archives and Museum uses the pages of The Beacon to look at a five-month period in 1945. Follow this link to our blog post and, as Dr. Jim Covert liked to say, “Keep your chins up!”
From early years—when Archbishop Alexander Christie would come to campus to celebrate his Name Day, i.e., later becoming Founder’s Day—UP has been privileged to share the life and wonders of its campus with friends and families. For a brief retrospective of the recent Junior & Senior Family Weekend, plus news of a picnic under the pines in 1934, follow this link to read a post from the University Archives and Museum.
For more information contact Carolyn Connolly, museum coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or x8038.
Dundon-Berchtold Hall will be dedicated this week, but a new addition to the family needn’t obscure the birthdays of earlier arrivals and campus siblings. Swindells Hall is also celebrating its birthday this month, dedicated twenty years ago on September 23; and the Bell Tower was dedicated on September 18 ten years ago. To mark the Bell Tower dedication anniversary, the University Museum and Archives provide this post.
For more information, contact Carolyn Connolly, museum coordinator, at x8038 or email@example.com.
The University remembers Fr. Pomerleau for his years of service to the University community as priest, political science professor, administrator, and pastoral resident. Our memorial post from the University Archives and Museum about Fr. Pomerleau’s work at the University and beyond can be found here.
As a complement to the online entry, please also see the memorial and photo display for Fr. Pomerleau in the Buckley Center first floor display case near the Studies Abroad office.
For more information contact Carolyn Connolly, museum coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or x8038.
Dundon-Berchtold Hall excavations recently disclosed a lost, unknown, unidentified building frame inches below the surface of campus. A real live mystery for the University Archives! According to museum coordinator Carolyn Connolly, “We aced it in a day with the assistance of databases left by earlier archivists, but this report has taken longer.” Read the archives and museum blog post to follow the clues.
Contact Connolly at x8038 or email@example.com for more information.