0

Greetings from the Customer Support team!

5.25" floppy disks
A stack of 5.25″ floppy disks. Free use image.

Welcome back to our relaunched Techtalk blog! If you missed our launch post from our CIO Greg Pitter, check it out here: Let’s talk about technology.

UP’s technology environment is near and dear to me and- like Greg- I’ve seen how impactful well supported technology can be to student success. My current role as our Customer Support team manager is by no means my first journey on the UP campus- I started here as a student in 2004, earning my BA in Music in 2008. I came to UP from a disadvantaged background with limited access to up-to-date technology. While others were happily using Windows 98 or the first release of Mac OS X, our household still owned a 1989 Epson Apex 100 on which I typed my high school papers, swapping out the large 5.25” floppies at each step of the way to boot the operating system, open the word processing program, format, save, spellcheck, print, etc. Internet access didn’t come to our household until 2002, at which point it was on a WebTV system while the Apex continued to chug away.

When I started college, I managed to scrounge a decrepit Windows 95 laptop, but while useful for faster word processing than the Apex, it still lacked internet, or the ability to hold a charge when not plugged in. Needless to say, when I wasn’t in a practice room studying music, I was in one of UP’s computer labs. Those labs were a home away from home, and a key part of my success here on campus. I counted on them to help print every paper, research my assignments, and access electronic articles or videos assigned for my courses- I wouldn’t have been able to finish a degree without them. After many adventures, it’s only fitting that I’m now back at UP, managing the Customer Support team, which supports our current labs, along with a plethora of other needs.

The Customer Support team- which comprises of our Help Desk, Techs, Bench, and Lab Aides- is your first stop for your technology needs. From activating your new network account as a student or employee, getting a workstation set up, identifying how to fulfill an instructional or work need from our wealth of tools, to diagnosing an issue accessing your Moodle course pages- and everywhere in between- you’ll start with our team. We will work with you until the issue is resolved or connect you to the next tier of support for your issue. We offer a number of avenues for seeking support, whether you want self-guided resources, email help, or real-time hands-on assistance. Regardless of which option you select, we look forward to helping you make your technology work for you as we work towards our combined goal of teaching and learning- of which technology will be an ever growing part.

A quick look at what we offer:

Students study at the UP computer lab.
Students at work in the Clark Library computer lab.

Website and Support Portal: For simple issues, our website is the place to start. This site will connect you with the Password change portal (which can be used both for known AND forgotten passwords), as well as our support portal, which houses a number of resources including a self-help knowledge base with over 200 common issues and our ticketing portal for inquiries not covered by the knowledge base.

Email Support: Not quite sure what you need and not in a rush? Emailing us at help@up.edu is a great way to get in touch with us to ask where to start with an issue. If the issue requires a ticket, we can open one for you, or we can direct you to resources or IS team members who specialize in what you are looking for.

Phone Support: Computer not working or have another urgent inquiry? Need to book a tech to come out and look at something in person? Give us a call at 503-943-7000 and our agents can talk you through troubleshooting steps or book your tech visit depending on your issue and needs.

In Person Help: Laptop doing something funky? Can’t get your phone on the wifi? Just want to talk to a real live person, in person, to get an idea of where to proceed?

• The Help Desk is again open for walk-ins in BC 106 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday. Come on by and bring your questions or troublesome device and we’ll we waiting to help you out!
  • Need help with your workstation at your desk or to consult on a new tech need? Give us a call at the number above and we’ll schedule someone to come out and take a look!
  • Having Issues in the Library Computer Lab? Just ask the Lab Aide stationed at the end of the first row!

Dawn Lloyd

Dawn Lloyd is currently the Customer Support Manager at the University of Portland. She was a student of the University- graduating in 2008 with a BA in Music- and has worked on campus in a number of roles.