A spotlight for highlighting the success stories of Business Entrepreneurs

Christa Pichler, Founder Remnant Marketing

The Pamplin School of Business has had the pleasure of working with Christa on creative and digital concepts for its events and programs. Enjoy her story here!

Tell us a bit about yourself?

Hi!  My name is Christa Pichler.  I grew up on a cattle ranch in western Nebraska where I learned the value of hard work and developed an entrepreneurial spirit.  I completed undergraduate degrees in Marketing and Computer Graphics as well as an MBA with a focus in entrepreneurship.  I now live in Gretna, Nebraska (just outside Omaha) with my husband and our two younger daughters, Emersyn (10) and Siena (7).  Our older daughters are out of the house; Ellie (22) is a 4th grade teacher in the Gretna School district, and Reese (20) is completing her business degree at the University of Nebraska.  We love to spend time together, to travel, and to run around to all of the kids’ activities!

What do you do?

I started my rental real estate business in 2016, while still working full-time, and started my creative services business in January of 2022 to offer website design, social media management, and brand identity design (Remnant Marketing).  My creative niche is Catholic churches or businesses.  I chose to quit my corporate job and venture out on my own after a very powerful experience in front of the Blessed Sacrament.  Prior to this vocation, I worked for 17 years in a variety of capacities at a Class I Railroad.

How has your business journey evolved?

I was almost 40 when I decided to quit my corporate job to do what I had always wanted to do!  As you may deduce from my degrees, I have wanted to own my own business for a while and have always loved to be creative.  I have a very interesting “brain,” if you will, as I have strengths in both left (analytical) and right (creative) sides.  My career with the railroad allowed me to spend a lot of time with analytical work.  It loved it and learned so much from that career.  I often joke that I needed to grow up and learn who I was before I could start on this entrepreneurial journey.  I truly believe that we have to trust God’s time, and be open to what He is calling us.  With the solid foundation of my education and an almost two-decade career at a Fortune 200 company, I was ready to strike out on my own.

Advice for students considering pursing business?

It is very important to learn the fundamentals in college, but be ready to learn a lot more when you start working.  Your coursework will get you started, but you have to keep an inquisitive mind and willingness to learn to continue to grow and be successful.  It is also very important to consider what each experience is teaching you.  Working with a horrible boss might just be preparing you to start your managerial career.  Knowing what NOT to do is just as important as knowing what to do.  Be sure you take some time to reflect and learn from everything.

What are some of the benefits that you experience from working for yourself?

I really appreciate that, when you own your own business, you see the direct result of your work.  When you work an extra 10 hours a week for a corporation, you may not directly see that reflected in your paycheck.  But, when you own your own business – you control your destiny.  If I want to take on more clients, I have to have the capacity to do so and deliver on my promises.  If I don’t, it is me that suffers.  If I do, I could benefit from more work with that client or a referral to other clients.  The other thing I love is that I am available to my family more.  My commute used to be 30 minutes each way.  Now, I walk down the hallway.  I am able to drop my kids off at school and pick them up each day.  I have the flexibility to coach a sports team or help in the classroom.  I am able to create that balance in my life that allows me to support my family financially as well as be present with them.  While starting your own company is risky, no risk, no reward, right?  I am blessed to have a very supportive husband and we work together to balance everything for our family.

What advice do you have for college students wanting to be entrepreneurs?

I think it is important to remember that you can be an entrepreneur on the side to start!  Don’t think that you can’t have a stable career and start to dabble on a side business.  Of course, be respectful of your employer and only work on your side gig on the side!  I would also recommend joining Facebook or other groups with like-minded people.  I am in a few Facebook groups for mom-preneurs or women in business.  Having a support system of people who have done what you are attempting or do complementary tasks to what you want to do can help you be successful!

Last words of Advice?

Be open to what God is calling you to!  I spent a long time in my life trying to be the one in control.  Not that everything is easy now that I let God lead.  He never promised life would be easy.  But, when God is calling the shots, His plan of sheer goodness for your life is way better than anything you might have planned for yourself!

Connect with Christa

To connect with Christa Pichler, email to – christa@remnantmktg.com or visit – https://remnantmktg.com/