The Women in Finance series continues! Hear from experts and connect with our financial partners – build your network!

Gina Jacobson, Vision Capital Management

What led you to Finance?

When I was little, people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up. My answer always was, “I want to help people.” Years later, after graduating college, I moved to Portland in search of a career in which I could fulfill my calling. I tried many industries but needed help to connect to my purpose. One day, I spoke with my landlord as he fixed the water heater at my apartment. He had become a mentor of mine, always asking thoughtful questions about what was going on in my life. He was a very successful financial advisor and encouraged me to explore the world of financial advising as a career path. He told me about the need for more women in the profession.

A few weeks later, I had the opportunity to work for a financial advising team. I worried I didn’t have what it took to do the job, as I had always told myself I was bad at math and other analytical tasks. I spoke with this mentor about the opportunity and shared that I was afraid I didn’t have what it would take to be successful in this field. He said, “I know you can do it.” He gave me one of the most precious gifts I have ever received – the gift of belief. I borrowed his confidence in me until I became strong enough to believe in myself. Without this belief, I would never have approached a career in wealth management. It has become the vehicle through which I help people in all stages of life to move along the path to financial clarity and peace. I am honored to experience the trust and openness of my clients as they share their lives with me, and I could not imagine more fulfilling work.

Advice to other women pursuing a career in Finance?

Break your goals down into small steps and focus on the one step immediately in front of you. When I feel overwhelmed by a large task set before me, I remember that everything in life, every accomplishment, the largest buildings, the longest journeys, no matter how impossible or how overwhelming it may seem, that goal can be broken down into a series of small steps.

A few years ago, I was studying for my CFP®. It was a time of turmoil when I desperately needed inner strength. I decided the best way to get strong on the inside was to get strong on the outside. I walked into a local powerlifting gym, Ironside Training, intimidated beyond belief, and met the gym owner, Patrick Thomas, who would soon become my coach. On day one, he taught me how to move the barbell. No weights, just the bar. I felt how the bar should sit on my back, feel in my hands, where to grip the knurling, how to move my body. We trained in the basic movements of powerlifting, which we call the Big Three – Squat, Bench Press, and Deadlift. After practicing these movements until I was comfortable, we added a small amount of weight.

Over time, we added a bit more weight. We practiced one rep at a time. It was never more than what I could handle. I practiced these movements consistently over the next few years, incrementally adding weight, adding 2.5 pounds here and 5 pounds there. In strength training, similar to investing, consistent small actions over time lead to significant results. In 2021, I competed at the USPA Drug Tested National Championships meet, then qualified to compete at the USPA Drug Tested World Championships. One of the best experiences came in 2022, the day after my 30th birthday when I deadlifted 300 pounds. This was an achievement beyond my wildest dreams; however, it became possible through the aggregation of marginal gains over time. One step. One rep. I can take one step. I can do one rep. So can you. Just focus on that one next step. I know you can do it.

About Gina

Gina is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional at Vision Capital Management, a women-owned registered investment advisory firm in Portland, Oregon. Gina works with clients to provide investment management and financial planning advice, as well as helping to organize their “Women with a Vision” events series. Since Gina began working in wealth management in 2016, she has been passionate about empowering women by providing them with personal financial tools and guidance. Nothing brings her more joy than giving her clients confidence in their long-term financial plans. When she’s not acting as a financial cheerleader for her clients, Gina enjoys competitive powerlifting, listening to live music, or curling up with a good book.

Connect with Gina

Questions? If you want to reach out to Gina, her email is gina@vcmi.net, or visit https://vcmi.net/.