Whether you call them the Johnston twins, the soccer twins, numbers 16 and 22 on the soccer team, or just simply Conor and Rory, these warm-hearted and friendly set of twins can be easily be spotted around campus and are a gem to their family and friends. Entering their junior year at the University of Portland, both Conor and Rory have declared their majors in Finance. They both consider each other as their best friend and wouldn’t have it any other way. Below is a set of interview questions answered individually by the twins; you would be surprised by the similarities and differences in their answers.

Johnston_Conor_web
Conor Johnston ’17
© University of Portland
Johnston_Rory_web
Rory Johnston ’17
© University of Portland

What’s it like growing up as identical twins? What do you like and dislike about it?

Conor: I would not want it any other way. I absolutely cherish having a best friend by my side, my entire life. I love knowing that no matter what, Rory will forever be in my corner. It is a very secure and warming feeling. There aren’t very many dislikes that come with being an identical twin. Situations can become intense between us because of our competitive nature, but never have I disliked being an identical twin. 

Rory: We know nothing different really, but for those who have a best friend, it’s like having one of them around all the time. The most amazing part about having a twin is that we push each other to do better in every aspect of our lives. We also love the fact that we have each other for support when we need it.

Studies have shown that identical twins think alike, is this true?

C: I believe we can both attest to that study and say in full confidence that it is very true, identical twins think alike. We share the exact same mindset and opinions on just about any topic. Growing up together side by side, day in day out, I can see why that may be. But regardless, we really do think alike.

R: Considering that we play the same sports, are interested in the same subjects and love the same foods, we’d have to concur with the studies. We catch ourselves finishing each other’s sentences all the time.

Have you ever switched places before?

C: We have indeed. High school was our prime, when professors knew us, but they would be too embarrassed to assume or ask if they were being played. Fellow classmates would get a kick out of spending time with one twin on Monday and the other on a Wednesday. Come Exam days, trickery had to be executed with precision. It is too easy in college. Most professors don’t spend enough time to notice differences between us. 

R: Honestly, we have switched places a few times, especially in school. It’s way to easy here in college so we don’t do it as much, but back in high school we loved to take a chance with teachers who thought they could tell us a part. Sadly for them, they obviously didn’t know us as well as they thought, as we have never been caught.

How often do people get you guys mixed up?

C: Annually, I would estimate 365 times, which averages out to one mix up a day. It happens a lot. Especially being in a college environment where our social circles have expanded and new people are constantly meeting at least one of us, often times not knowing the identical twin aspect to my life. 

R: Whenever we aren’t back in Sonoma, or an environment where the people around us are close, we are commonly mixed up; it’s become a very normal occurrence. So much so that I will respond to my twin’s name just as I would respond to my own.

What’s the most stupidest question someone has asked you about being a twin?

C: “So, are you guys the same age?” & “Have you ever considered murdering someone and blaming it on your twin?” The latter is pushing it, but those are two of the more ridiculous questions that have been asked, and they have definitely been asked more than once.

R: The silliest question we’ve been asked? Can we read each other’s minds through twin telepathy… obviously we can! We’re twins.

Who do you think got the better looks?

C: Without doubt me. I hope Rory answered the same way; otherwise I will be coming off as very conceded. We really do look very alike. I will leave this question open to the public.

R: This is a direct quote from Conor, “Obviously you got the better looks, Rory.”

Group Questions:

What made you guys both decide to go to UP and both become business majors?

We had no real idea what was in store for us when we were pursuing a third level education. As first generation American and first generation college bound students, but both of us wanted to find a school that could provide us a chance to continue to play the sport we love and to offer a world-class education. We are both majoring in business because we love the opportunity’s a business degree can provide.

How did your parents tell you apart when you were little? And how do people tell you apart now?

As a baby I’m not sure if our parents could tell us a part… but lets hope that they could. Like any parents who have twins, ours loved dressing us in matching outfits with different colors. Now it’s a bit easier. Conor is taller than Rory by a few inches and Rory has a rounder face when compared to Conor’s.

Rory and Conor as toddlers
PamplinTwinQs.docx
The Conor and Rory we know today