KaitlynVanAlyne_croppedMajor: Accounting and Finance

How did you secure your internship? I secured my internship during fall accounting recruitment.

Company interned with: Cambia Health Solutions

Role and responsibilities: Cambia Health Solutions is a company that has two sides: the insurance side and then the direct health solutions side. I did most of my work with the DHS side which is a holding company that has about 10 entities that it owns completely and then has controlling interest in a few other entities. I was responsible for two DHS companies’ accounting for the three months I was there. I recorded monthly journal entries to represent accounting transactions that occurred during the month and then I reconciled each account for each company. Along with these monthly responsibilities, I was also able to develop a process for the validation of the revenue for one of the subsidiaries of the company. I also did many research projects involving technical accounting research and the internal control process of Cambia. Cambia assigns each intern to a specific team within the finance department where we are able to do most of our work at, but the other teams within the department also take advantage of the interns which allows you to get a vast understanding of the company.

Describe your “first day of work “ outfit: On my first day, I wore a navy lace dress, a black sweater and black heels. Cambia’s dress code is more business casual than business professional.

What were you most nervous about before starting your internship? I was most nervous about doing a good job. Once I started working, it became less nerve-wracking because I realized that I just needed to try my very best and ask many questions.

What did you like/enjoy most about your internship experience? Besides the people that I was able to meet and learn from, I really enjoyed being responsible for the accounting of an entity. It was very interesting and enjoyable to be able to see how each step in the accounting process for a company effects the following steps to get the end product.

What did you take away from your internship? I was able to learn how to network better and I was able to learn more accounting skills that I will be able to take back to the classroom and in the future.

Were you a brown-paper bagger or take-out supporter? I probably did about half and half. Going out to lunch was a great way to get to know coworkers, but can be expensive.