Q&A with Dr. Eduardo Contreras

We’d like to occasionally spotlight the talented and passionate members of the UP faculty and administration. Read our Question and Answers with Dr. Eduardo Contreras, the Assistant Provost for International Education, Diversity, and Inclusion at the University of Portland, to learn more about his work on and off The Bluff.

Tell us a little bit about your role as the Assistant Provost for International Education, Diversity, and Inclusion.

• The goal of this position is to support university-wide efforts to support equity, inclusion, and internationalization. This is an outgrowth of Strategy D of our Strategic Plan, Vision 2020, “to infuse our campus with a greater sense of diversity and internationalization.” It also is central to Catholic social teaching, which focuses on upholding human dignity for everyone and teaches that we are all part of a collective human family regardless of our national, racial, ethnic, economic, or ideological differences.

What are you most looking forward to about being in this new role?

• I’m in my fourth year on The Bluff, so I can honestly say that it’s the individuals who make this place special. Continuing to work with the terrific students, faculty, and staff on campus will continue to be the highlight of my work.

What does diversity and inclusion mean to you?

• I take the view that many of my colleagues take. Diversity is our reality. We live in a world that is made up of a multitude of different people, so this is a fact of life in the 21st century. Inclusion is the ongoing process of making everyone feel seen and appreciated for being their authentic selves. Equity is the aspirational goal of making sure that everyone is treated fairly and within the context of broader societal challenges. In a university, these all work together so that all students will have the opportunity to receive the full benefits of their educational experiences (both in the classroom and on campus).

What resources are available to support and embrace our diverse UP community?

• We have a host of services available to support students from all backgrounds. For example, we have the Office of International Student Services, Diversity and Inclusion Programming, the Diversity Center, Accessible Education Services, and a host of clubs for students of many backgrounds. These resources, and others, can be found here.

From your extensive experience in International Education and in overseeing UP’s Studies Abroad program, what advice would you provide to families whose student may be considering a study abroad opportunity?

• One thing that always surprises students when they return from studying abroad is that, beyond learning about other cultures or improving in another language, students often learn a lot about themselves. They develop their confidence, maturity, and self-worth in ways not often seen at home. So, when selecting a program, I ask students to think long and hard about their personal, academic, and long-term professional goals.

What is your favorite international travel story or destination that you’ve visited?

• In my professional career, I’ve been fortunate to have many wonderful experiences with different people around the world, but the story that I think about most is that I didn’t study abroad until graduate school. I did not have the financial resources as an undergraduate to go abroad. My life was changed when a professor mentored me and encouraged me to apply for scholarships in graduate school. Studying abroad as a graduate student opened my eyes to a way of learning that I had not previously known. I was frustrated to have experienced this so late, but also deeply grateful to have formed such rich intercultural connections with so many of the people I met the first time I studied abroad. It would be great for all students to have that kind of life-changing experience.

Dr. Eduardo Contreras is the Assistant Provost for International Education, Diversity, and Inclusion at the University of Portland, where he also teaches in the School of Education in the Master’s program in Higher Education and Student Affairs. With nearly two decades in public and private U.S. post-secondary education, Dr. Contreras has a long-term commitment to inclusive excellence and international education. He has researched, written, and presented extensively on international education and inclusion. In addition to an Ed.M. and Ed.D. from Harvard, he has a B.A. in history and an M.A. in Asian Cultures and Languages from the University of Texas at Austin.