First Generation Spotlight: Sarah Ponce ’20

At UP, approximately 20 percent of the student population identifies as a first generation (FGEN) college student, and these students have a lot to be proud of! One of our First Generation (FGEN) students, Sarah Ponce ’20, shares her experience at UP and offers some advice to parents of FGEN students.

What is your major?

Biology and Spanish major, Chemistry minor

How have you been involved with the FGEN community at UP?

I was a FGEN Summer Launch Leader.

What has been beneficial about being involved with the FGEN community at UP?

Hearing other people’s stories is not only inspiring because of how resilient and courageous our community is, but it is also helpful for me to know that I am not alone. I have people that I can speak to about experiences I feel aren’t widely understood on our campus. FGEN students are dedicated in their nature. They aren’t here to fulfill some legacy of academia. They are inspired by the hard work of their family, and that is our superpower.

What has been a challenge of being an FGEN student?

A challenge has been trusting myself. It is difficult coming from tight knit families because we rely on each other and deeply trust those who are older than us, like our parents and guardians, to light the way for us. There are a lot of areas of academia that my family has not been able to help me with, so I’ve had to learn to trust myself in seeking out answers, and trust that asking for help from financial aid, therapists, professors, and other student resources will never hurt.

During the transition to college, what are a few key things you wish your parents or family would have known in order to better support you?

I wish they would have known about the resources on campus and off campus which can help support me. It is hard as a parent, I think, to accept that you can’t provide everything your kid needs. But if my parents told me to reach out for help with figuring out and managing the University systems like financial aid, housing, etc.–I think that would have helped. I also wish my extended family understood more about why I chose to go to school out of state. It wasn’t a reflection of how I felt about them when I chose to go far, but my own individual goal seeking. There is definitely a cultural gap because I am more Americanized than the adults in my family, so I have more of an individualist outlook. It’s hard to ask them to see this perspective.

Sarah Ponce ’20

How has your relationship with your parent or family changed or grown since starting college?

My parents have learned (and are still learning) that I can take care of myself out here on my own. I have learned to use my resources, and my parents have seen me grow, so I feel that they trust me more as an adult. I am less dependent on them, so we’ve learned to communicate our needs and boundaries better. Since I see them only for winter and sometimes summer breaks, I also cherish that time more.

What is one piece of advice you would give parents or family members of incoming FGEN students?

For parents, I would advise you to ask as many questions as you need to, and don’t feel silly for doing so. Reach out to the FGEN community especially! Also, even if you don’t understand completely what your students are doing or how it all works, do your best to listen to them and assure them that you are willing to learn about what it is they do in their day-to-day. Students, be patient with your parents, and love them where they’re at, because they are growing as parents as you grow into adults. And similarly, listen to their stories. Never stop asking about their life experiences, because they will never stop having things to teach you.

Learn more about the University of Portland program for first generation students.