Photo Credit: Marina Choy

As the silky, fuzzy brainchild of songwriter, singer, and guitarist Alex Brettin, Mild High Club is a reflection of his thoughts, feelings, and attitude on the world we live in. KDUP caught up with Alex at Capitol Hill’s Block Party.

You have a brand new project coming titled “Skiptracing” Could you tell me about it?

Yeah “Skiptracing” is the second album I have made, and this time it is more collaborative than the first. The album is an epic story based on a private eye. This private eye is a skiptracer, he hunts down people who skip bail. So I am basically playing Tommy Lee Jones, but instead of chasing Harrison Ford, I am chasing the spirit of music. This skiptracer is hunting after the spirit of music that has driven this world.

Listen to “Skiptracing” here:

What is this spirit of the music you describe?

It is that thing we all experience when we hear music we connect with. That certain moment when you listen to music and you think, “I am not even there, I am in the story.” That is the fugitive I am after in the album. The intangible, the inexplicable. You can only do so much to describe the feeling.

Could you tell me some major influences and some contemporary influences that you draw inspiration from?

I find most contemporary music bland and regurgitated. If you want to pinpoint an influence it would have to be The Beatles. Mild High Club’s sound comes from trying to emulate a warped record.

Photo Credit: Marina Choy

What kind of student were you?

I was a B student. Good enough to take the test, not good enough to turn in my homework.

What was your first job?

I was a cowboy actor at a place called Donley’s Wild West Town. My name was Loreto.

Favorite Pokémon?

Ditto. He is kinda like the Anti-Pokémon.

If not music, then what?

I just made a new music video. So maybe shooting film.

What should I be listening to right now?

The Lemon Twigs. Fagan. XTC. Patrice Rushen.

What is the message to the youth?

Listen. Really listen. Get deeper into music. Don’t just dress the part. Forget what you are wearing, forget what you look like. Go deep and explore other music.

What is the biggest lie in the world today?

This election. The words coming out of politicians mouths.

Photo Credit: Marina Choy