Brianna Tade | Digital Assistant Music Director

Late on Wednesday night, we found ourselves walking into the Neurolux in Downtown Boise after wandering around a bit. I saw that Francis of Delirium was playing– a band I knew I had saved in a Spotify playlist of mine. The crowd was already buzzing with energy as Jana Bahrich, lead singer of the Luxembourg-based band, performed with an unforgettable chef’s hat on. Francis of Delirium’s indie-rock elements fused with traces of raw angst brought forth a unique, young sound that’s not to be underestimated. Their energy-fueled songs like “The Funhouse” and “Quit Fucking Around” are powerhouses, yet they still have more intimate pieces like “Circles” and “All Love”. After the set, I was able to have a conversation with Jana right outside the Neurolux.

In talking about what it has been like for her to be playing shows in North America, Jana explained, “I’ve been playing around little bars in Luxembourg since I was 15 and that has definitely helped. I mean, I really like connecting with people, that’s kind of the main reason why we do any of this– it’s cool to connect with people who are so far away from home”.

The candid, cathartic lyrics of Francis of Delirium’s work mixed with an almost punk-infused guitar pulse make for a youthful and fresh discography. The narrative-like writing embedded in the lyrics plays with the notion of growing up and processing that very experience, whatever that may look like. Francis of Delirium had been opening up for The Districts two weeks prior to their Treefort set, which Jana explained has been really beneficial in pooling a new audience and meeting new people.

In finishing up our conversation, I asked Jana if she had any advice for up-and-coming artists wanting to pursue music. She laughed, “Well I feel like I’m still an aspiring musician but uhm, I think since now shows are a thing again, go to as many shows as possible. Especially in Luxembourg, once you go to 2 or 3 shows, you see the same people again so it’s really cool. It’s just nice to get into a community and meet like-minded people. Go to as many shows and play as many shows as possible, yeah”.

Want to listen to Francis of Delirium? You can find their music here.

This article is part of KDUP’s coverage of Treefort 10. Click here to see our other Treefort articles.