I came across Left on Tenth on a rainy November evening in Portland, Oregon. My friend and I were looking for live music, and we came across a posting for Johnny Franco. I had been wanting to see Johnny Franco live for months, so we headed straight to the show. Little did I know, a collection of bands including Left on Tenth would be mixed in the set to create a diverse, lively, and entertaining set.

Left on Tenth’s sound is unlike anything I’ve ever heard. It’s a combination of Rock, Soul, Reggae, Latin, and Ska music. Immediately, I was drawn to the way their instruments communicate. Throughout the show, the saxophone player, David Kaltenbach, and the trumpet player, Conor Adams, move around the venue. The audience turn their heads to find the source of the sound and videotape the musicians dancing around the stage. The allocation of the musicians throughout the venue creates a surround sound that I have never experienced with live music. Since that November show, I have gone to a collection of Left on Tenth’s concerts including their appearance at Treefort Music Festival in Boise, Idaho. I sat down with Left on Tenth before their set to learn a little more.

Left on Tenth describes themselves as a “dish composed of leafy vegetables such as lettuce varieties, spinach, or arugula” on their Facebook and Spotify page, so of course, I had to ask about Left on Tenth’s leafy mix. The band debated kale versus arugula and carrot vinaigrette versus a simple olive oil dressing. Eventually, it was concluded that the Left on Tenth salad is composed of carrots, potatoes, romaine, kale, arugula, coconut cream, olive oil, and bacon bits. The nutrient dense leaves, hearty potatoes, crunchy veggies, and smooth sauces create a one-of-a-kind mix. Have you ever tried a salad like that?

Left on Tenth’s one-of-a-kind-mix is composed of six band members: Casey Kerrigan, Conor Adams, Russel McHenry, David Kaltenback, Ian Bailey, and Jared Clos. Casey plays bass and guitar, Conor plays trumpet and guitar, Russel plays keyboard and trumpet, David plays saxophone, Ian plays guitar, and Jared plays the drums. Left on Tenth started in the dorms at Montana State University in Bozeman. For years, they played every Thursday at a bar in downtown Bozeman. They didn’t have a genre yet, but they had a song, songwriters, PBRs, and a couple shots of tequila. A perfect combination.

Now, the band is based in Portland. Left on Tenth reminisced on the Portland music scene as they described the music scene during the summer lockdown. Musicians in Portland redefined the scene and played outside. They found a solution, and it brought musicians together. Left of Tenth explained how bands would come together, play shows in their backyard, and laugh and chat. They loved the music scene in Bozeman as well. It was a great vibrant little family town, but Left on Tenth knew they wanted something bigger. However, with Portland, comes the routine of loading up with vitamin C and vitamin D supplements every morning. Left on Tenth sees Portland as a great home base, but they definitely want to continue their traveling and touring and soak up the sun where they can.

Left on Tenth does not disappoint. Their lively shows bring energy and light to even the rainiest cities. If you’re looking for a band that you can dance to for hours, Left on Tenth is your jam. I’ll see you front row at their next show!

Wanna listen to Left on Tenth? You can find them here.