by Ronni Ariel

Up until mid-March, I envisioned Boise, Idaho as simply the epicenter of potatoes and excited Boise State University students (Go Broncos!) This year, my view of Boise completely changed thanks to KDUP College Radio.

Every year, beginning in 2012, Boise hosts the annual Treefort Music Festival—a 5-day, indie-rock festival held throughout the city. As a college radio member, this was an opportunity I could not miss, especially as a senior, and was fortunate to experience Treefort with my fellow KDUP board members.

Treefort is not like your typical, jam-packed, overstimulating music festival (hint: it rhymes with ciao bella). This festival is the epitome of community engagement, run by over 3000 Boise-residing volunteers in the past decade, all coming together to celebrate music. Treefort also provides free transportation to festival guests, as well as runs on a token-based system, in which some of the money is donated to local small businesses. In addition, rather than the traditional single-location, big festival, Treefort is characterized by its plethora of mini festivals, including, but not limited to: Yogafort, Hackfort, Music Talks, Skatefort, Foodfort, Storyfort, Podfort, Kidfort, Dragfort, Comedyfort, Artfort, and—my most favorite— Alefort. These forts provide Treefort attendees to not only showcase and appreciate music, but also enjoy all other aspects of entertainment and amusements. Truly, there is a fort for everyone at Treefort Music Festival.

Although we were all stoked to visit every fort we could, us KDUP College Radio members were particularly excited about the music. This year, the Treefort lineup included headliners such as Surf Curse, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, and Cautious Clay, among over 500 bands that ultimately broadened my music taste and knowledge. Headliners performed on the main stage, but perhaps my favorite part about Treefort is its assortment of venues for other shows. Clubs, bars, and theaters hosted artists and bands, allowing us to explore both music and the Boise community and nightlife. By the end of our trip, we became regulars at our favorite venues, including The Balcony Club, El Korah Shrine, and Neurolux Lounge, exploring new artists each day and night. Perhaps the only downside of this array of venues is the walking distance from each destination, however through this we were able to further explore Boise and all it had to offer.

Sure, Boise, Idaho may be known for its starch goodness and Boise State spirit, but I have come to learn that it is far beyond that. Boise truly becomes lively in the span of 5-days during Treefort Music Festival, suffused with volunteers, artists, and guests who share an admiration for music, art, and a good time. In my 5 days at Treefort, I have further developed my music taste, strengthened friendships with my KDUP team (and my calves from all the walking,) and have grown an everlasting appreciation for the arts. I am eternally grateful to have been able to witness Boise come alive during Treefort, and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know this community-driven city.