The Women in Finance series continues! 
Hear from experts and connect with our financial partners – build your network!

Q&A with Krystal ~

What led you to Finance? 

As a child I enjoyed and excelled at math… until about Calculus II.  After contemplating a business or engineering undergraduate degree, I decided to pursue Industrial Engineering.  Not long after becoming a professional engineer, I pursued a Master of Business Administration degree. Upon earning my MBA, a commercial lending opportunity opened and commenced my career as a banker.

Advice to other women pursuing a career in Finance?

Finance opens many doors as every industry needs individuals who bring financial acumen. Conduct informational interviews, with finance professionals in varying roles, to discover which path resonates and excites you. Aim to have a full understanding of the responsibilities, challenges, and opportunities.  Most importantly, understand if the role/company/industry aligns with your goals and values. 

Continuously learn, listen, and build strong relationships inside and outside of your organization.  Consider your network as your net worth.

Why did you choose UP for your CFP program?

After a decade in banking, I felt something was missing, and did some soul-searching.  I met with CFP® professionals and discovered the in-person CFP® program* at University of Portland. The 9-month program worked well for professionals, such as me, as classes were offered Friday evenings and Saturdays.

About Krystal

Krystal graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering with minors in business administration, manufacturing, and mathematics; and a Master of Business Administration.  She is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional and holds a Certificate in ESG Investing from the CFA Institute®.

She has an analytical and process improvement mindset, with prior experience in alternative energy, automotive, banking, medical devices, and semiconductor industries.  

Krystal has proudly called the Pacific Northwest home for a decade now.  She enjoys spending quality time with her family and friends, and is most likely at a restaurant, wine tasting, cycling, skiing, or dancing flamenco. ¡Olé!

Connect with Krystal

To learn more about Krystal or to contact her, please email – krystal@allentrust.com

*Note – While the Pamplin School of Business no longer offers the CFP program, we do partner with organizations that can provide resources. Inquire with us to learn more – mccarthy@up.edu