Joe Davis (right), MBA Operations & Technology Management and his wife

Born and raised in NE Portland, Joe went to Grant High School and participated in Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) sports as a child.  This provided Joe with his first experience on the University of Portland’s campus.  As a participant on the CYO swim team, 12-year-old Joe would spend his mornings before school at Swim Team practice in the now non-existent lap pool where the Dundon-Berchtold Hall now resides.  Little did he know, many years later, that he would eventually follow in his mother’s footsteps and earn an undergraduate degree from the University of Portland.  Now he is more than thrilled at the opportunity to garner new skills and reinvent himself in the corporate world. 

Joe Davis and family

As a husband and a father, he is seeking an MBA at UP’s Pamplin School of Business.  Joe is leveraging his GI Bill benefits and the Vocational Rehabilitation Program offered through the Department of Veterans Affairs.  This comes after 9+ years in the US Army where Joe deployed overseas 3 times to include service in Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq. 

Joe and his family (Ashley a personal fitness trainer for a local gym, Carter a freshman at Sam Barlow High School, and Dominic a vivacious 5-year-old) are proud to be members of the Pilot community.  Prior, Joe spent 14+ years at The Home Depot, most recently as an Asset Protection Manager.  He began his career as a part time lot attendant pushing carts and worked up to a salaried management position.  After a reduction in force, Joe decided it was time leverage those GI Bill benefits.  He knew he wanted to focus on a business strength but was not fully decided on a major – he had a feeling that by engaging the rich staff within the Pamplin School of Business he would inevitably find his path.  To that point, he did, earning his undergraduate degree in Operations & Technology Management (OTM) and further seeking an MBA here at UP as well.  His time spent at UP Pamplin has not only brought additional skill sets to his toolbox but it has provided invaluable networking opportunities and assisted him as a veteran owned small business owner. 

Why did you choose UP Pamplin for your MBA?

I chose UP Pamplin for my MBA because of my positive undergraduate experience.  The wealth of knowledge in the school is immense and though I have mainly attended in the presence of COVID, my personal experience has been nothing short of stellar.  I have received such individualized care and tutoring from my professors & support staff that I truly felt they wanted me to succeed. I had the confidence that if I put in the work the business school would do so as well – and I have not been disappointed yet! I am successful in part to awesome support I have received from the business school.

Advice for veterans considering an MBA?

If you have the opportunity to work towards your MBA, do not hesitate.  In all branches of the military, we are exposed to continual educational programs.  Getting an MBA is similar to achieving that next promotion – but no board, no time in grade requirements, just hard work and a passion for learning.  The Pamplin School of Business offers many Leadership oriented course work that mirrors the US military’s professional development focus albeit in a wildly different setting.  My advice is to find what it is your passionate about, evaluate if an MBA will help you achieve your goals.  If an MBA sounds or seems viable or interesting, reach out to a counselor, student or professor.  The amount of knowledge and experience at UP Pamplin will no doubt answer all your questions and set you up for success no matter your path.  Whatever you choose, do not let your benefits go to waste!

Joe Davis’ son on the UP campus in front of Franz Hall (Go Pilots!)