Internship are a great way to get an inside look at what it might be like to work at a company, while gaining vital hands on experience. Not only are they a great way to gain experience, but they are a sure-fire way to get your foot in the door. In fact, 95% of employers looks for candidate experience when making hiring decisions.

The search for that perfect internship takes time, but the reward is worth it! Check out these internship success stories from three of our current seniors (and soon-to-be graduates!)

ROBERTA MCNARY ROSSO
Major: Marketing, Minor: Communications

Where are you currently interning? Where have you interned in the past?

I am currently interning at Nike and in the University of Portland Sports Marketing Department. I also had an internship with the Portland Timbers this past soccer season.

How did you land your internships?

I got all of my internships in different ways. At UP, I actually was hired as a game day helper and stayed with it until Junior year and applied for the internship position so I could have office hours and get experience working with sports teams in all areas. At Nike, I was actually one of their footwear testers my freshman year here at UP, because my workshop leader needed girls that wore a size 7 shoe and I qualified. I just kept getting more and more involved because I absolutely LOVED it. I’m already such a sneaker head, so being so passionate about it and just through networking with the people that were coordinating these footwear tests, I ended up setting a program up here at UP. Now I have a solid foot in the door for when I graduate.

With the Timbers, I actually applied on a whim. I didn’t need another job or internship, obviously, but it just sounded fun and I figured it would be a good thing on my resume if I can show that I have worked with a professional sports team. The Timbers hired me because of my work with the Portland Pilots and my experience with Nike and involvement in UP’s soccer program.

What advice would you give to students looking for internships?

My biggest piece of advice is to not be so picky. Students are so set on what they want to do and make a niche for themselves and get stuck there. Broaden your horizons and be willing to do anything and everything because any experience is great experience. And who knows, you may end up liking something you would have never thought you would have an interest in.

For example, I personally had no interest in soccer before I came to the University of Portland and then by senior year I ended up working for a professional soccer team because it was fast-paced like I liked. Now, because of this experience I can apply for other professional sports team jobs and know what to expect and they can see this on my resume.

KIRILL GRINKO
Major: Accounting, Finance

Where are you interning now? Where have you interned in the past?

Portland General Electric, and Grant Thornton LLP. Currently not interning, but have received a full-time offer from GT.

How did you go about landing your internship?

With PGE, it was through their website and I applied just because it was required by the business school. I then got a rejection because I didn’t “match the criteria” as I was told. So I decided to visit the office. Once I got there, I called one of the main HR people (who was also in charge of the interns) and asked him what skills they were looking for that I didn’t have. Within a week, I got called in for the first round. Shortly after, a second round, and then the offer.

It was a fantastic experience. I had the opportunity to travel to Montana and see a huge coalmine and coal-powered generation plant. I did some audit work with the executive team, on the “17th floor” a few times for various assignments. This internship was very much an involved internship where I worked instead of assisting people.

My Audit/Tax Internship with Grant Thornton came to me as part of the recruiting event for Accounting majors. I followed the process in place as do most students, but it was different because I only applied to two companies. The year prior to that I received quite a few rejection letters and did not get a public accounting internship, but this year it was different. I did a ton of research and learned about the companies, and picked the firm that was the best fit for me. Once I got that down, I only applied to two and got an offer from my first choice.

What advice do you have for students who are looking for internships?

1. Have a killer resume

2. Be extremely prepared in all aspects: know the firm, the interviewer, the dress attire, be well groomed, and just presentable in every possible way.

3. Don’t give up! I received more than 10 interview rejections.

4. Go the extra mile and visit the firm. Meet the people face to face. Get in front of the firm so that they see you.

5. Interview as much as possible with as many firms as possible, even if you would never work there. This will give you a great interviewing experience and when you come to speak to the firm you want to work for you will be very ready.

6. Have older mentors who can provide council and support, who can answer your questions.

STEFANIA HAJNOSZ
Majors: Marketing, French

Where have you interned?

I interned this summer at R2C Group, an ad agency downtown.

How did you land your internship?

I had met someone who worked there during my mock interview and then I met someone else who worked there during the speed-networking event in February. I kept in touch with both contacts, informally met someone from HR, and was notified when the application was posted online. From there, I went through the normal interview process.

Don’t be afraid to network! I’ve gotten most of my jobs through networking. Also, have an idea about what your career goals are in case you are asked.  It’s not a serious commitment…your goals can change!  The more specific your goals are, the more your mentors can help you. Even if that individual specializes in something else, they may know someone they can introduce to you.

Advice for students who are completing internships right now?

Once you get the internship, make sure that you get the most that you can out of it.  Volunteer to take on tasks, and ask around to see if people have work that needs to be done.  If you’re having a slow day, check in with another department! Sometimes, it can be a bit of work for your supervisor to find something for you to do, so you can help them out by identifying what needs to get done and doing it.