Photo credit: Areej Mulla

Many of our students know the infamous Dr. Mitchell as the intelligent operations and technology management (OTM) professor. But what some of our business school community may not know is that Dr. Mitchell is also a talented musician! Dr. Mitchell has been playing with two groups for years, the Lake Oswego Millennium Dance Band (LOMDB) and the Lake Oswego Millennium Concert Band (LOMCB) directed by Dale Cleland. And you can catch him performing a gig around Portland.

Photo credit: Areej Mulla

“I love playing with the Lake Oswego Millennium Dance Band for a number of reasons. First, it’s a great group of people. Second, the music is just fun to play. And finally, it’s wonderful to see the happy audience, having a great time dancing to live music and reminiscing about happy times, good memories invoked by the music.

I have been playing with the group on occasion, as a sub, for about 10 years now. When Dale Cleland, the group’s director, recently retired as the lead alto sax player, I was thrilled to be invited to become a regular member and the new lead alto sax.

I started out playing the clarinet in 4th grade (because the school was out of saxophone loaners) and began playing the sax in 8th grade because I loved jazz and blues. It quickly became my primary instrument.

Playing music, especially jazz, swing, and the blues, satisfies something in me that nothing else does. Somehow, that sense of calm and creative energy extends to other areas of my life, including teaching and research” says Dr. Mitchell.

Students had the opportunity to catch Dr. Mitchell in action by attending one of his recent performances. “Whether you are a student or a faculty member, sharing your talents is a great way to inspire others in our business school community. I felt a sense of unity and comfort attending Dr. Mitchell’s musical performance, because we can all relate to art in one way or another,” shared Areej Mulla, a current Master of Science in OTM student.

MBA Alumna (’13), Mona Albabtain (left) and MSOTM student Areej Mulla (right) attend Dr. Mitchell’s (middle) concert (Photo credit: Mona Albabtain)

Upcoming Performances

Dr. Mitchell will be playing a benefit concert with Jazz Express coming up on December 12, 2022 at 6:30pm. (See flier below for info). They are doing 10-12 jazz Christmas charts, including some vocals. The donations and proceeds from the concessions will benefit the Parkrose High School music program.

Undergraduate OTM students attend one of Dr. Mitchell’s recent performances

Lake Oswego Millennium Concert Band Schedule

For upcoming performances, please visit – https://lakeoswegoband.org/performance-schedule/