Q&A with Tom ~

What are you doing now?

I own a management consulting company, Rinehart Strategies, focused on helping leaders address their most pressing challenges in both private and public organizations.

When I launched the company last year, I advertised strategy, finance, business planning, operations, and public affairs as specific service offerings.

During the first nine months of business, I’ve worked with clients in each of these business lines, in addition to financial policy and executive director services.

Why did you select Pamplin School of Business for your MBA?

It was an easy decision to select the Pamplin School of Business for an MBA. First, I had a family tuition benefit through my wonderful wife of 23 years, Dr. Christi Hancock, who is a History Professor at UP.

Second, I knew from friends and associates that the Pamplin School Professors are excellent teachers and my experience confirmed this reputation.

How does your MBA help your career?

The MBA increased my confidence and taught me new skills for leading large, complex organizations as well as running my own business.

Each day, I find myself asking questions I learned from classes at the Pamplin School and follow up study I have done that was sparked during my time there, particularly in the fields of finance and strategy.

The MBA helps me with both the basic tools I need for leading and running a business while also providing me a foundation to continuously learn and improve my skills.

Advice for someone considering graduate education?

I had 15 years of work experience, most of that in leadership roles, before I pursued an MBA. I advise people to acquire significant work experience and perspective before choosing graduate education.

Not only is graduate school a significant commitment of time and money, but it is also enhanced by the broader perspective and maturity you normally only acquire through trial and error in both life and the workforce.

And for people out there who have been working for a few years, I urge them to consider how graduate school can strengthen their career and enrich their life.

To connect with Tom Rinehart

Email – tom@rinehartstrategies.com