Noah Schutte with Dr. Adrangi, Professor of Economics

How did a graduate degree help you?

In my 3 years at the University of Portland I ended up doing two graduate degrees (MBA and MSOTM). Being able to take a wide range of courses is something I found very valuable. At the same time, the quality of the courses is something that I was really happy about. In my opinion this is due to both the small class sizes and the quality of the faculty. You don’t just learn theory; you learn how to work together and at the same time make valuable connections! I was one of the few people that did not have work experience yet, so this allowed me to learn from the experience of others. During my first job I really noticed how valuable this had been. It set me up to be able to quickly apply my knowledge to all kinds of practical problems. 

MSOTM Students (left to right): Noah Schutte, Kevin Mowrey, Ragnar Hartmann

What are you doing now?

After graduating I started to work as an Analytics Consultant at a company that makes optimization software (ORTEC). In the consulting department we made “custom made solutions” to all kinds of interesting business problems, as long as there was some data or mathematics involved. The mindset I got from several MSOTM courses set me up perfectly to deliver quality work straight away. Despite liking my work, I always had the idea that a doctoral program would be something I would enjoy. So, when I found the right opportunity, I decided to take it. I started a month ago at the Technical University Delft, as a part of the Epistemic AI project. In this project we try to fundamentally look different at uncertainties within AI systems, to make sure they are robust. My focus is on optimization within this framework. At the same time, I’m still pursuing my athletic dreams. The World Athletics Championships next year are in Eugene, Oregon, so I am working hard to get back to the stadium I competed in as a Pilot!

Any advice for someone considering an MBA?

I would advise to try and look for what is important to you. If you are looking to gain pure knowledge on some subjects, you can find everything on the internet. If you are looking to learn from others, make connections and create a problem-solving mindset, that is something you can’t find online. Also, see if the courses that are offered fit your interests and don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone. I think it is a great opportunity to develop yourself further, independent of your current situation. If you decide to do an MBA, make sure you make the most of the time you have with your professors and fellow students. Even more important: It is a great experience so make sure to enjoy it!

Noah Schutte (in front) running on the UP Pilots Cross Country team