How has earning an MBA helped you?
After working in several industries, in 1978, it was time to seek out a new work adventure.  Because new federal government laws were requiring large businesses to hire women into non-traditional management positions, and because I was working on an MBA, I was hired as a supervisor in a Crown Zellerbach sawmill operation and began learning about the forest products industry.

Over 20 years later, after many management positions, I was appointed to General Manager at a large Collins Pine Corp. hardwood operation located in Pennsylvania, headquartered in Portland.

The education I received at the University of Portland was tapped in many ways while in this position.  I had several managers reporting to me who were very experienced in the industry but very few had college degrees.  I used MBA-learned project management layouts to show a manager how to look at the project we were proposing so I could properly write up and request capital at board meetings.  For example, a project may entail changing the manufacturing flow in the lumber dimension conversion part of the business, thus affecting resources, personnel, fund flows, etc. 

It was heartfelt to know my education at the U of P could be transferred to these production leaders.  In addition, I was able to communicate with the executives involved in running the business such as financial, resource, and sales executives.

What are you doing now as a UP Pamplin Alumni?
Having the degree gave me the credibility and supportive inspiration to lead non-profit organizations and help in the community.  I currently chair a committee at church that reviews and recommends grants for causes that are in support of the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy.  A couple of grantee examples are Friends of Hospice, SW WA and Compassion Connect.

Read article on Connie Grenz:
The DailyPress.com “Kane Hardwood manager addresses Women in Timber”