Ben Berry, M.S. in Operations and Technology Management (2018)

How did a graduate degree help you?

My graduate degree was a Master of Science in Operations and Technology management which I received while working full time for a large company.  I went for this specific track after reviewing the list of potential courses I would be eligible to take.  My career could be summarized as a generalist in many fields, and I wanted my education to reflect that.  I took a wide range of courses from supply chain management, decision modeling, project management, IT security, IT object-oriented analysis and design, and database management to name a few.  Many of these courses weren’t teaching what you could learn online.  They questioned existing ways of working and really made me think rather than follow a script.  The professors that taught these courses were also extremely qualified to be used as resources to help problem solve issues I was having in my roles at the time.  The small class sizes had an almost cohort feel, and most students were also working full time furthering my connection network.  These relationships that I’ve built with the professors and fellow students hold to this day, more than 3 years post-graduation. 

What are you doing now?

I’ve had a bit of a roller coaster of a career.   Nearly 8 years ago I was hired by Thermo Fisher Scientific in a lower level IT role.  I worked my way up to support various IT initiatives for a single division.  3.5 years ago around the time of graduation I found myself in a completely foreign world as a Software Development Manager within that same division, but for R&D.  And this year I have again moved.  I’m a Senior Manager for Program Management Digital Strategy supporting 6 divisions.  Another description of my role is leading digital strategy and integration for a large service transformation initiative company wide. 

Any advice for someone considering an MBA?

First look at the available courses to determine if those fields are either applicable or something that interests you.   If you’re looking to advance in your career understand that it’s not just the textbook learning that will aid your development, but the relationships you build with your professors and counterpart students.  Don’t focus too much on if you think you have the time for an MBA.  Humans are good at adapting and it will naturally work out.  And finally, be sure to take advantage of all the MBA opportunities such as networking events for which UP has many.  You’ll be surprised how valuable interacting with students, professors, and alumni outside of the classroom will be.