Hurdles is an original Olympic competition from 1896. Women’s Hurdles were added in 1932.
The Colosseum was built on campus against rain and mist and mold in 1902; because UP men’s track and field needed a place to practice and a site to host the Indoor Invitational; the women’s track and and cross-country teams arrive late, beginning with coach Mike Johnson in 1978; the indoor arena long gone. Hurdles are part of collegiate life then and now, but more graceful on the track than in some of the other challenges and stumbles students overcome and survive on the Bluff. Sports Photography is a graceful art as well.
Photo gallery from the University Archives, click on image to enlarge: