Here at KDUP, we love to talk about music. Everyone in the community- from staff to street team to DJs- all have a library of favorite songs and albums developed over years of steady listening. But what about the professors? What do they listen to when they’re not lecturing? We decided to find out, so we asked a few of our favorite professors about their favorite albums.

Led Zeppelin III (1970) – Led Zeppelin

Music Director Isabel Kalnin talked to Dr. Jordan Ferrina, who teaches engineering. He said “Led Zeppelin III” is his favorite album.

Soon-to-be Promotions Director Dagan Kay (joining staff in the spring) spoke with Philosophy professor Dr. James Baillie. Baillie’s into jazz and rock and he knows how to play the guitar. 

Station to Station (1976) – David Bowie
“I have done a KDUP show three times over the years, but not for a while,” Baillie said. “My favorite album? I could give you my favorite 50!

“Restricting myself to rock music, the artist that meant the most to me was David Bowie. His creative pries were mostly confined to the 1970s (although his last album “Black Star” is a return to form.) If I had to choose one album of his, it might be “Station To Station.”

“Two more very important albums, from lesser known people, are “New York Tendaberry” by Laura Nyro and “Marquee Moon” by Television. I bought (the latter) the day it came out, March 1977, and listened to it all night, without a break, till dawn.”

Whaling and Sailing Songs from the days of Moby Dick (1956) – Paul Clayton

Web Tech Haley Grant (the person writing, hello) spoke to English Professor Dr. Joshua Swidzinski. 

He cited his favorite album as the 1956 “Whaling and Sailing Songs from the Days of Moby Dick” by folk singer Paul Clayton. Sounds like something an English professor would like. 

Swidzinski also said he likes playing Bach when he’s making dinner. 

good kid, m.A.A.d city (2012) – Kendrick Lamar

Our current Pilots After Dark/KDUP Liaison Jessica Buchanan asked Dr. David Turnbloom, professor of theology, his favorite album. He named Kendrick Lamar’s “good kid, m.A.A.d city.” 

His Band and the Street Choir (1970) – Van Morrison

Alicia Romero, KDUP’s Volunteer Coordinator, found out that Chemistry professor Dr. Kevin Cantrell loves Van Morrison as a musician and lyricist.

Though his favorite album changes depending on the day, Cantrell named the artist’s 1970 album “His Band and the Street Choir” as his current fav. 

“[Van Morrison] recaptures the vibe of the American soul music,” said Cantrell. “There is no downbeat track on the whole album.”