Madeline Hawthorne Interview at Treefort Music Fest in Boise, Idaho

March 22nd, 2024 | Photo from Madeline Hawthorne Website

Madeline Hawthorne is a singer-songwriter from Bozeman, Montana. She was able to sit down with me at Treefort Music Festival for a quick interview. Here is our conversation.

Interview Transcript

Molly: 

Really excited to be here. So first off, if you could just tell me your name and where you’re from

Madeline:   

Sure. My name is Madeline:  Hawthorne, and I am from Bozeman, Montana.

Molly:  

It’s awesome. So this first question is like a little bit more of an icebreaker. So it’s not essentially music related, but it can be if you want to be. But what surprises people about you? 

Madeline: 

What surprises people about me? Well, certainly where I’m from has been a pleasant surprise to a lot of people when I have been traveling and meeting folks on the road, while promoting my music. I say I’m Madeline:  Hawthorne, when I say it on stage, and I’m from Bozeman, Montana, people lose their minds. They will love it. Like I don’t we just, I feel so lucky to live in a place that just brings good feelings to someone when they hear Montana. That’s so cool. So that’s one of the things that I’ve noticed has surprised people about me.

Molly: 

So my next question is, how has your music journey you know, been so far? When did it start? Have you been on tour? Or are you planning to go on tour?

Madeline:  

Sure. So I will say that I was born in Boston, and I moved to Montana when I was 18. I went to college in Bozeman. And it wasn’t until I was about 25, that I started performing music, little coffee shops, just trying to figure out you know, how, okay, I like writing songs. I like I like doing this kind of thing. And it just kept snowballing. Not necessarily the my success, but I think my my drive to be more successful or, or, or do more as saw people Oh, people are are touring around in Montana. Okay, I want to get out of Bozeman. Okay, I want to get out of Montana. How do I do that? And so I was, yeah, kind of like self study in the world of music performance in the sort of folk Americana realm and got myself too, to this point. And now I have a record that I released in 2021. I have a second album, on the way that we’re releasing in June. And I am touring like crazy. Wow. And I just went on the road with Lukas Nelson and promise of Unreal for two weeks. I’ve been, I’ve been playing more new places than I ever have in my life so much in the last year, and things are really starting to ramp up. And we’re seeing a lot of great opportunities. I have a fantastic band and four guys, three of them are here for tree fort Fest this weekend. They are based in Denver, Colorado. And they are, they are the best. So we together put on a really rock and roll show for people. So yeah, and then other times I’ll perform just with my acoustic guitar, and it’s, yeah, it’s it is wild, as wild.

Molly: 

And you have a new single 

Madeline:   

Oh I do. I do have a new single out, neon wasteland. Yep. We’ve got more singles  on the way. And that’s kind of what songs are. Like, give birth to them and then send them off into the universe. So yeah, got a lot going on, and super grateful to be this busy and have these kinds of opportunities.

Molly: 

So have you always been pretty musical? Or was it kind of when you went to college that you realized you liked it?

Madeline: 

My mom was a performer. So from I’ve, you know, from day one, music was a part of my life. And we moved from Boston to Boston, Massachusetts, to New Hampshire, the seacoast of New Hampshire, for my dad’s job, and my mom taught voice at the college at the University of New Hampshire. So I sang in choirs. When I was young, I played saxophone and the jazz band. And then when I was in high school, I started getting into folk music. And I wanted to play I want to sing it, I started listening to Joni Mitchell and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. And yeah, my parents saw that I was passionate about that. And that was also at the same time, you know, just getting into the normal kinds of trouble that a young kid will get into chasing boys sneaking out and got drinking and stuff. So they got me an acoustic guitar and grounded me a couple of times. And I, I sat in my room because I couldn’t do anything else and play guitar and started to learn. So I actually have to thank them for slowing me down there for a minute. And then, you know, I didn’t think that, that being a rock and roll performer or folk singer would be a, you know, viable career at that thought hadn’t crossed my mind. And I was a little sheltered in New Hampshire, and I didn’t grow up with anything but public television. So I didn’t have a ton access to MTV. And so I just, I don’t know, I had no, no real idea that that this was something that, you know, could be a viable career option. So I went to college. And then in college, I brought that guitar, and started going to shows and just feeling like a very strong urge to get on stage and sing with those people be in those people’s shoes. I like really, really wanted that. So that just kind of like a little fire that just kept building and building and then started to figure it out. 

Molly: 

That’s awesome. That’s so cool. So Treefort has a really vibrant music and art scene, how does it feel to be one of the creators a part of it this year?

Madeline:   

It is so badass down here. And I hope I’m allowed to swear.  I got myself here two years ago before I’d signed with management or booking. And so it feels really great to come back and have more opportunities the second time around. And it feels good to come back to be a part of something that I’ve already been to once and I feel more so a part of this community. And I had the opportunity to perform here a couple of times since that tree for in 2022. And, yeah, I just feel like I I know the I know the grounds. I know that area of more. And so I’m really excited to actually dig in and see an experience more of the festival than I was able to the last time. So it feels great to to be a creator to be around other creatives. And I’m really ready to be inspired by some music and art. Yeah, it’s just and what you and I were saying just a minute ago before we started the interview, just giving us a quiet, comfortable, clean space to talk about music and art and people Collective is just really great. 

Molly:  So is there a specific artist or even album that you kind of draw inspiration from you kind of mentioned Joni Mitchell earlier.

Madeline:  

I did. Yeah. That was kind of where I got my my start. And there are a lot of a lot of women who have inspired me over the years. I’ve recently been diving into country music and you will hear that on my second record. Dolly Parton, of course. Yeah. So inspiring. When I first started getting into performing, someone introduced me to brandy Carlisle music so she’s a huge influence. And then Grace Potter fellow New Englander. I’ve seen her in Montana a handful of times and was really inspired by her energy on stage and so I bring that same kind of energy. bluesy singers like Susan Tedeschi and Bonnie Raitt have influenced how I sing and I pull from I think all those women, nicking lane, Kacey Musgraves, and Margo price. There’s just so many so many badass women out there and you know, Bonnie Raitt, still doing things and doing it Well, that’s a big inspiration for me too, because you do see, women tend to drop off and maybe don’t stick with it as long as men do. And that might be a personal choice that makes more sense for them. But I really like seeing women continuing to do it regardless of their age. Because age is one of those. One of those factors that can cause a lot of anxiety, I think, for both men and women, but women in particular really struggle with with that. And I just love seeing women do it. Yeah, you know, that. So? Yeah, so amazing.

Molly: 

And you’re one of them.

Madeline: 

I’m one of them. I’m gonna keep doing it. Yeah, get rid of me, you can’t.

Molly:  

Because my last kind of question today, what are your expectations for tonight, and I know you play another time. 

Madeline:   

Yeah, I’m really excited. We have three sets this weekend. We are on one unofficial showcase this afternoon. And that is going to be with some Boise buddies. So I’m excited about that one. What are satellites at Penn Gillies, which is just it’s such a cool, cool dive bar was a great, great stage. And I’ve, I’ve been there I’ve performed there. So it feels like a good kind of Homecoming, you know, in a sense. And I’m really excited to play the this bandshell on Sunday, outdoors that the weather’s looking a little iffy, but we’re from Montana, Colorado, so we’re not we’re not scared of a little weather. And I’m just happy to be here. I’m excited to be back with my band. Since we live in two different states. It’s going to be a great, it’s going to be a great time, we’re going to have a blast, and just try to try not to overdo it. But it’s it’s going to be hard not to overdo it and go to everything and see and hear what you know, but yeah, I’m gonna my husband’s here with me. And I told him I’m like tour manage me. So if I need to go to bed, put me to bed No, I’m so excited. grateful to be here, and I think it’s gonna be a blast. 

Molly: 

Yeah, that’s all I have for you today. Awesome.