Behind the Mic: Arran Fagan

by Jackie Ott

Processed with VSCOcam with t1 preset

You might have seen Arran around, sitting in the library studying for chemistry, playing his guitar at open mic nights at The Pilot House, or offering a big smile in the commons. What you may not know however is that every Wednesday from 7 to 8, you can find Arran hanging out in the KDUP studio bringing some folk to the KDUP airwaves. We sat down with Arran, or Arran the Ginger as he’s known on his show, to find out a little more about his life.

Jackie Ott: What has been your music inspiration as of late?

Arran Fagan: My musical inspiration has been the new Jason Isbell record, Something More Than Free. The record absolutely killed me. It has these perfectly formed stories tied with emotion. The title track is my favorite song on the record.

JO: Where’s the most exciting place you’ve traveled?

AF: I have been very lucky and fortunate in my life to be able to travel quite extensively, The most exciting place would have to be Japan or the Galapagos Islands, although I am going to China and Vietnam this summer so I have a lot of exciting places to travel.

JO: There are albums that we all associate with childhood and our first introduction to real music. For example, mine is Bruce Springsteen’s Born To Run. What’s yours and what’s the story behind it?

AF: As a kid, I grew up with Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, The Beatles, etc. All of these bands/musicians really had an impact on me and have really driven my musical tastes. I think the first albums to really swing my music tastes and make me have this shock and awe, like the feeling of falling in love for the first time, would have to be Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails, or I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning by Bright Eyes. I found Nine Inch Nails when I was in San Diego visiting relatives. I bought the documentary of their performances and it changed my life. The music was so abrasive, so intricate, so dark, and yet so alluring. Trent Reznor is a God in my eyes; everything he makes have these tiny minute details that truly create a great song. Organized chaos is the best kind of music for me. With Bright Eyes, I found it at a record store. I was taken back to my childhood but shown it in a new light. Everything on that record makes me cry. Connor Oberst formulates this kind of monologue throughout his records and does things so against the grain that it works. That record is the record that makes me feel like I am in love again—tied to something true and yet so hopeless.

JO: Best description of your show. Why should others tune in?

AF: My show is a folk show. Folk music has changed so much in the last hundred years and I try to dip my toes into everything that has ever existed and share the best of it. Or at least the stuff that I think is the best.

JO: Do you have a dream pet when you’re older? What’s that dream pets name?

AF: I think my dream pet would be a lab. They are such happy and loving animals! Its name would be Bailey, after the lab I had when I was a baby.

JO: Why did you decide to become a DJ/get involved with KDUP?

AF: I have always wanted to be apart of KDUP, even while in high school. I thought it was the coolest thing. Music has always been my goal and being a part of KDUP has been a dream come true.

JO: Best book you’ve ever read?

AF: The best book I have ever read would have to be East of Eden by John Steinbeck or My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgaard.

JO: For someone who hasn’t listened to a lot of folk, what should they check out?

AF: I would listen to Jason Isbell if you like southern folk, Jeffrey Martin, Rodrigo Amarante, Josh Ritter, Damien Jurado, Tallest Man On Earth, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, John Lennon.

One last thing you may not know about Arran: he recently released an album of his own music Sad Old Songs. Check it out on his Bandcamp, and tune into his show every Wednesday from 7 to 8.