0

Living and (Mostly) Thriving with Disability

photo of Jacquie Van Hoomissen smiling

From UP Professor Jacquie Van Hoomissen

I recently had this headshot taken at a conference for women in higher education leadership. The night prior to this shot I had a wretched night of sleep. I suffer from chronic spinal pain that has been an unfortunate constant companion since high school. Sleeping can sometimes be the worst time of day, as I struggle to find relief. When I received my headshot proof, I reflected on how light filled and joyous this picture looked from the outside, and then juxtaposed that image against the white-hot pain that was shooting down my spine when the photographer said “smile.” I carry my pain with me but am learning to let others know of my needs as this makes living with it a little easier. As I’ve shared my experience with more and more of my colleagues at UP, I have been appreciative of their support; from hugs of sympathy, to offers for the more comfortable chair at a meeting, to asking me what time of day is easiest for me to teach. And yet, I am not alone. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that approximately 1 in 5 adults live with chronic pain. For me, I’ve learned to accept my pain, care for my body, and realize that my disability allows me to see the world from a different perspective. Would I love to wave a magic wand and erase my pain? You bet!!! Does my pain limit what I can do? Sometimes. Can I still lead a full, joy-filled life? Of course!!!! This past summer I went kayaking on three Oregon lakes, and the incredible views of nature gave me hope that I can still get out there and enjoy life, despite my disability.

Sarah