FBI statistics states that chances of recovering a lost or stolen computer are only 3 percent. UP community members can increase their chances of recovery to over 97 percent by installing the free FrontDoorSoftware, a service provided by the information services division to all students, faculty, and staff by signing up at www.frontdoorsoftware.com/up/. If your computer is stolen, this software allows you to blast a message to the computer that states “THIS COMPUTER IS REPORTED STOLEN”; lock it down remotely; send a text message to the thief; have your laptop yell out for help with a standard message or your own custom message; and use Google Maps to show clues to its location. For more information contact the help desk at 7000 or email@example.com.
The University has purchased a new security software protection plan, FrontDoorSoftware, for the entire campus, according to Janice Lundborg, information services. If a device is stolen, the software enables users to lock it down remotely, blast a message to the device that says “This computer is reported stolen,” send text messages to the thief, use Google maps to track the device, and more. It will work on MacBooks, tablets, and laptops, and will soon be usable on Androids and iPads. There is no charge to users; click on http://www.frontdoorsoftware.com/up/ to set it up.