From 1901 to 1955 the University of Portland (originally named Columbia University) maintained the Columbia Preparatory school for boys while working to establishing itself as a collegiate university. The prep school had a strong academic program and excelled in athletics, and many of its graduates went on to enroll at the University. The University continues to honor the legacy of Columbia Prep at an annual reunion each year, with the Preppers and their families gathering on campus for Mass and brunch this past Sunday, June 1. The University Museum and Archives have a new post on their WordPress blog about the history of Columbia Prep and a gallery of photos to share the story of the Prep boys.
For more information contact Carolyn Connolly, museum coordinator, at 8038, or firstname.lastname@example.org.