- The sum of 97 (Mr. Shiley’s new age) and its reverse, namely 79, equals 176. Coincidentally, If numbers 1 to 26 are assigned to the letters of the English alphabet, the sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of Donald Pearce Shiley equals 176 too.
- Mr. Shiley turns 97 in 2017 where both 97 and 2017 are prime numbers. Further, 2017 is the 306th prime number where 306 equals 2 x 3 x 3 x 17 where the sum of these prime multipliers is 25 and the 25th prime number is 97.
- The reverse of 2017, namely 7102, equals 2 x 53 x 67 where these three prime numbers add up to 122 which equals 97 plus 25 where the 25th prime number is 97.
- Mr. Shiley’s new age 97 times three yields 0291 which is the reverse of his birth year, namely 1920.
- If Mr. Shiley’s 97th birthday expressed as 1/19/2017 is split as 1, 19, and 2017, these three numbers add up to 2037 which equals 21 times 97 where 21 coincides with the sum of the digits of 1/19/2017.
- Lastly, if Mr. Shiley’s birthday 1/19/2017 is split as 119 and 2017, the sum of these two numbers equals 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 89 where these prime multipliers add up to 98 signifying the fact that if Mr. Shiley was still alive, he would have started the 98th year of his life today.
This week’s Teaching and Learning Collaborative article is by Zachary Simmons, psychological sciences. He addresses the idea of “flipped” classrooms, where course content is consumed primarily outside the classroom, with instructional time devoted to application or mastery of the material. “Nothing seems to polarize my students more than their opinion of ‘flipped classrooms,'” he says, and delves more deeply into the topic at this link.
All research involving human subjects should be submitted to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for review. The IRB will meet on the second Wednesday of each month during spring semester 2017. Proposals requiring a full board review will be reviewed at the next scheduled meeting if submitted by the end of the prior month. A response to those proposals requiring full board review will be sent within a week of the IRB meeting which reviewed the proposal.
A reminder: the IRB does not meet as a full board during June, July, or August. Please plan accordingly and submit any proposals that may require full board review by the end of March, so the proposal may be reviewed at the April IRB meeting. Thus, if revisions are needed, they can be resubmitted for review at the May IRB meeting.
Proposals should be submitted by emailing the completed Request For Review form and associated documents to email@example.com. For additional information, including a copy of the request template, go to up.edu/irb.
The ever popular Mascot Night, Wally Pilot’s favorite event, is coming to the Chile Center on Saturday, January 28 as Wally and his best friends plan to take over the Chiles Center and hang out with the Pilots. We hope you make plans to bring out the family for a night of basketball as the Pilot men take on San Diego with a 7 p.m. tip-off.
Additionally the night will also be the annual Coaches vs. Cancer game presented by the American Cancer Society, featuring a post-game free-throw drive to raise funds for cancer research. All fans in attendance will be invited to come down to the court and shoot free-throws with a small donation to the American Cancer Society and UP Relay for Life.
For more information contact athletics at x7117 or go to portlandpilots.com.