The Faculty Compensation Task Force invites the faculty to join us for an update and an open discussion on our work to develop a compensation philosophy and plan for the University to be held on Thursday, January 18, in Buckley Center Auditorium. The forum is tentatively scheduled to be held from 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. More details to come at a later date. Please watch for an all-faculty email with the final schedule.
Recreation Services is pleased to present faculty and staff fitness classes each day of the week, according to Kaitlin Bourne The new class schedule is as follows:
- Mondays: Cardio Conditioning with Emma
- Tuesdays: Centering Yoga with Karen
- Wednesdays: Group Exercise
- Thursdays: Invigorating Yoga with Kaitlin
- Fridays: Erg Spin with Women’s Rowing (Erg Spin will run until Spring Break).
All classes begin at 12:05 p.m. upstairs in the Beauchamp Center, and are open to all levels of experience. Come workout with UP friends!
For more information contact Bourne at x7294 or email@example.com.
The Career Center is hosting Handshake Activation & Navigation Labs for faculty and staff on the following dates:
- Friday, January 19, at 4 p.m.
- Friday, February 16, at 4 p.m.
- Friday, March 16, at 4 p.m.
- Friday, April 20, at 4 p.m.
Faculty and staff are encouraged to stop by the Career Center between 4 and 4:30 p.m. to get started in creating an account and learning more about how students can benefit from Handshake, an online tool which enables UP students and alumni to connect with employers, learn about career programs and events, and develop customized career plans.
For more information contact Amy Cavanaugh, Career Center, at 7749 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The payroll office is in the process of producing W-2 forms, and ensure accurate information on their forms, employees are encouraged to carefully review their information, such as legal names, W-2 mailing addresses, social security numbers, and withholding W-4 allowances. Please submit any changes to the payroll office by January 17, 2018.
For faster service of the 2017 tax forms, please sign up for electronic delivery of W-2 forms. Please visit Self-Serve, Employee, Tax Forms, Electronic W-2 Consent (link). This remains in effect each year so you only must sign up once. The W-2’s will be available by January 31, 2018.
The Office of Alumni Relations is accepting nominations for the 2018 Thomas A. Gerhardt Award for Student Leadership. Criteria for selection include:
- Student must be a graduating senior;
- Student must have demonstrated leadership throughout his or her undergraduate career;
- Student must demonstrate consistent dedication to the University and the community through service to God and neighbor.
For more information contact Craig Swinyard, Director of Alumni Relations, at email@example.com.
The marketing office has received notice of more CASE awards, including:
- A Gold Medal for Innovation in Web or Social Media for the “Office Hours” feature at this link. Hannah Bogenreuther, marketing and communications, was assisted by student collaborator Mia Davis.
- Bronze for the development/marketing team’s “All Hands on Deck” campaign
- Silver in “Electronic Newsletters, Blogs” for the University of Portland 2017 Orientation Blog (Roya Quirk, Anna Lageson-Kerns, Jeromy Koffler)
- Silver in “Multimedia for Special Events” for the Weekend On The Bluff admissions video (Anna Lageson-Kerns and Adam Guggenheim).
For more information contact marketing at x7202 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ending one year leads to planning for the next! Now is a great time to schedule library instruction before the calendar fills up. The Clark Library offers instruction in two areas: information literacy and multimedia skills.
For information literacy, librarians collaborate with faculty to tailor sessions to students’ research needs. The Digital Lab coordinator provides assistance with creating assignments and instructs classes that have multimedia projects such as creating videos, digital posters, digital photography, and websites.
To request an information literacy session for your class, please email preferred dates and times to Heidi Senior at email@example.com. To arrange multimedia instruction, please email José Velazco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for a fun, new way to keep up with your New Year’s resolutions? Join the Indoor Rowing Class for staff and faculty! The class will take place every Friday from January 19 until March 9. Classes will be in Beauchamp Recreation Center in studio 20. For for information, email Pasha Spencer, athletics, at email@example.com or call (503) 896-3721.
Come see the Clark Library Gallery’s new exhibit, which provides a glimpse into the early years of the University’s first professional school. UP became involved in nursing education in 1934 when it partnered with the St. Vincent Hospital School of Nursing to offer a four-year degree program. Stop by to see historic photographs and artifacts, including a stylish nursing cape and a portable aspirator. The exhibit will be on display through March in the gallery space on the main floor.