I am a Consumer Insights Intern at Nike Golf. Nike Golf is a branch of Nike Inc., which is the head sports apparel provider across the globe. Nike’s mission is “to bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world.” Everyday the company does their best to make this very statement a reality.

As a Consumer Insights Intern, I was hired to connect with consumers, which in my case is the Modern Golf Athlete (MGA). My main task is to try to identify the consumer’s behavior via qualitative and quantitative data and also through observations in the field. I strive to explain why consumers are behaving the way they are in order for Nike to meet their needs and even identify needs consumers didn’t even know existed.

Thus far my internship has been amazing! Everyone I have met has been extremely nice and only wants to make my internship a fulfilling experience. As an intern, Nike provides awesome perks such as shopping benefits in which only fuels my shopping obsession for Jordan shoes. I was even fortunate enough to attend the US Open practice in Chamber’s Bay where I got to see up close the best of the best in golf practice their swings.

So far the biggest thing I learned is the amount of hard work and effort that goes into managing the Nike brand. There is work from social media, to customer service, and everything in-between. There are people that I didn’t even know existed that play a vital role within the corporation in order to uphold Nike’s brand reputation. Finding my place in the puzzle has been a challenging yet fun process!

~

Nathan DeVaughn, Senior
Marketing & Fine Arts Minor