mind the gap is a boutique consumer research agency located in Portland, Oregon. Since 2005, mind the gap has been working with a variety of clients across industries to create customizable consumer insight projects to help clients make decisions and implement change. Through the Pamplin School of Business, McKena Miyashiro, economics major, was able to get in touch with Shannon Duncan ’06, who is also one of the co-founders of mind the gap.

As an intern, McKena’s roles and responsibilities vary greatly depending on the day. Working remotely from home, some of her responsibilities include analyzing qualitative and quantitative data to assist in the development of reports for consumer insight projects, review documents for formatting and clarity, and transcribe audio recordings of previous meetings. Though, her primary role is to help the co-founders with their day-to-day operations. In addition, McKena has been able to travel throughout the West Coast to help out with various client projects. She enjoys hearing what consumers have to say about products/ideas that are still in development.

“Market research is something new and also very fascinating to me… this internship has opened my eyes to the world of market research… I love how it involves the disciplined analysis of both qualitative and quantitative data.”

What were you most nervous about before starting your internship?

Before starting my internship, I was most nervous about working so closely with only two other people. I’ve never worked in such an intimate setting before, and I was nervous about how that experience would be. My fears were quickly dismissed after meeting with John and Shannon, both of whom are wonderful mentors. Although a small company, mind the gap definitely delivers meaningful insights for clients!

~

McKena

McKena Miyashiro ’17
Economics