It’s been about a month now since I started my summer internship at Deloitte Indonesia as a Transfer Pricing intern. As an Accounting major, I have always imagined doing an internship in either audit or tax. Although Transfer Pricing is a department under Deloitte Tax Solutions, I can say that it is pretty unique in its own way. Transfer Pricing ensures that trade between companies, i.e., purchase from related and unrelated parties, are priced accordingly. Transfer pricing mainly deals with international trade to ensure that the companies are complying with the applicable tax laws, so I work with a lot of multinational companies that own subsidiaries in Indonesia, such as Sony, Danone, Heinz, and others.

The tasks that I do range from translating client- and tax-related documents from Indonesian to English and vice versa, performing industry analysis, to analyzing segmented gross profit reports, and to benchmarking. As a new intern, I am still in the process of familiarizing myself with the Indonesian tax laws even though interns are not required to know the laws thoroughly. I learn a lot from doing the industry analysis for various industries as well as performing benchmarking for the clients as a part of the Transfer Pricing Documentation (TP Doc). I don’t have a specific team that I work with everyday, but interns are assigned to work together on bigger projects. For example, a subsidiary under Danone has both the manufacturing and distribution functions for plastic water bottles. Due to the size of each process, I was required to work with a fellow intern to perform benchmarking for each function. Thus,  I was able to show my ability in working individually as well as in a team while also prioritizing the work assigned based on the various deadlines.

Whenever I ask employees at Deloitte why they continue to work for the company, almost all answers involve the people that they work with. All the associates, managers, and partners care for my own success in a way that they are very helpful and approachable. I have met a lot of amazing people who have become my good friends through this internship who contribute in making my internship experience a blast. All in all, I do believe that everyone has to start somewhere, and as for me, this internship has allowed me to learn and grow by stepping out of my comfort zone.

~
2015-05-10 09.16.37 1-1
Allysia Lesmana, Senior 
Accounting