Hello! My name is Francesca (Franny) Presby and I am from Los Angeles California. Originally born in China, I have grown up in sunny LA all of my life but then I chose to come to Portland for college. I am a current (just graduated) alumni from the University of Portland Class of 2024. I studied elementary education, minored in psychology, got a social emotional learning specialty. I have also studied abroad in Ireland where I found my love of travel. After graduating, I officially have my teaching license currently in Oregon and for the past month and a half I have been subbing at Oregon Episcopal School working as an assistant and substitute teacher.

I am participating in this experience of doing archaeology in Mallorca because I have always been fascinated by archaeology. If I did not go into education I would have wanted to study archaeology. I love learning about history, reading, writing, and having adventures so this seemed like the perfect experience for me! From excavating in an ancient city with a history from the Roman times to the Muslim era I hope to learn more about culture and the way people lived. I like discovering new places and I like getting to know more about people (those from the past and those who are present with us today). Theological questions I am curious about exploring during our expedition are:

(1) How did people worship? What gods did they pray to? Who was their leader?

(2) What drew people in and out of a specific place (Mallorca)? What environmental or social factors played a role?

There are many more to explore but these are just a few I was curious about!

The leadership development area I which to explore is resilience. I know to intentionally focus on building the necessary skills that allow me to understand myself and grow as an individual. I hope to be a leader, role model, and support to my Mallorca community members and I hope to learn how to better adapt to challenging situations in order to be more resilient. Overall, I am very much looking forward to this experience and hope to discover more about who I am and who I want to become.