Hi! My name is Dr. Dave Houglum, and I’m thrilled to be one of the co-directors (alongside the fantastic Dr. Nina Henrichs-Tarasenkova) of LDR/THE 391X: Global Leadership and Archaeology: Unearthing Our Past to Envision Our Future.

As Leadership Professor of Practice and Director of Leadership at University of Portland’s Franz Center for Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation, I’ve been equipping students with the skills they need to become exceptional leaders for over a decade. I grew up in Soldotna, Alaska, where my love for adventure was ignited under the midnight sun. Alongside my incredible wife Melissa and our three wonderful kids, I enjoy making music, playing instruments like the piano, trumpet, and guitar, and ukelele, and traveling the world – 29 countries and counting, with Egypt being the latest exploration!

My academic background includes an M.A. and Ph.D. in Leadership from Gonzaga University, as well as being professionally certificated as an executive and leadership coach with the International Coaching Federation. I’m also a published writer and presenter at various conferences worldwide. Additionally, I work with emerging leaders from across Europe in the European Leadership Program. Participants in this program work with organizations such as NATO, the European Commission, various embassies and NGOs, and numerous additional high-profile organizations (such as the U.N.) while intentionally developing their leadership knowledge, skills, and mindsets. Additionally, in the past I have served on the nonprofit Board of Directors for the Maybelle Center for Community for six years in Portland, Oregon, including two years as the Board Secretary on the Executive Board.

Above all, my passion lies in helping students develop their leadership skills and empower them to make a difference in their personal and professional lives. So, fasten your seatbelts and get ready to join us on this incredible journey of discovery, growth, and excitement as we uncover ancient secrets and forge new paths for our future! Stay tuned to follow our adventures as we explore the wonders of Spain and excavate a 2000-year-old cemetery in Mallorca. You won’t want to miss a moment of this life-changing experience!

Cheers,
Dr. Dave Houglum