The Praying Hands monument on the quad near Kenna and Christie halls has been a place of care and observance since 1948. A graduation gift to the school from the Class of 1948, the bricks carry the names of the dead from World War II.
Since 1987 cadets of Air Force and Army ROTC have marked Veterans’ Day by mounting a twenty-four hour vigil at the memorial. And this being Portland, keeping vigil rain or shine means lots of hours spent in the rain.
The Air Force cadet program (DETACHMENT 695) has been a part of the University of Portland since 1951. In these historical photos from the University Archives, we see the cadets prominently standing as Honor Guard at the Praying Hands during outdoor Military Mass, part of Campus Day, a spring-time tradition and celebration (picnic, dance, balloon toss!).
Each year the cadets honor the fallen with a thirty minute service beginning at 11:11 a.m.