On August 24, 1891 the cornerstone of West Hall was dedicated in a public ceremony, the public promise of the foundation that would grow to become our University of Portland community. West Hall was the first building on the University campus. Originally the home of the Methodist-sponsored Portland University (1891-1899), Archbishop Christie acquired the building and land on July 20, 1901 for the new Columbia University which opened September 5, 1901. West Hall was designated a National Landmark in 1977. At its century mark, West Hall received a major refurbishing and renovation and was renamed Waldschmidt Hall on October 17, 1992.
For more pictures and history of West/Waldschmidt Hall visit the Clark Library’s Digital University Building Collection, displaying 64 images of photographs and objects held by the University Archives and Museum (with descriptions from the Archives and Museum).