On July 22, 1901 the campus property of the old Portland University became the property of the Archdiocese of Oregon City under the title of Columbia University. That is, transferring West Hall and some few adjacent yards of orphaned land. The Archdiocese later ceded the same property to the Indiana Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross. Since 1902, the Congregation of Holy Cross has been the bedrock of the ever expanding University, beginning with the first Holy Cross priest-president, Fr. Michael Quinlan to its twentieth President, Fr. Mark Poorman, and the hundreds of Holy Cross Fathers and Brothers who have served the student community in classrooms and residence halls, entered student lives, and rejoiced in the strength, faith, and friendship of the University of Portland community.
And yes, the campus has also expanded geographically since 1901, but that is the less important factor.
The University honored the men of Holy Cross in a proclamation issued by the Board of Regents in 2000; giving thanks for a century of commitment by the priests and brothers of the Congregation of Holy Cross at the University of the Portland. A framed list of Holy Cross members who have served at the University since its founding is on display in Holy Cross Lounge on the third floor of Franz Hall and is also available here: Holy Cross at UP list, 2013