Email your students with Quickmail
The easiest and recommended way to email students in your class is to use the Quickmail block. Here are some features of Quickmail:
- Easily select email recipients from your course
- Add file attachments
- Receive a copy of sent emails
- View a history of emails sent with Quickmail
Sending an email message via Quickmail
Find the Quickmail block on the right-hand side of your course. By default, it will be located in the left-hand column of blocks, but you can move it around the course if desired.
Within the block, you can Compose New Email, edit Signatures, View Drafts, and View History.
- Compose new email – this is what you will use to send an email to your students
- Signatures – Quickmail allows you create signatures for your emails. These signatures are available in all of your moodle courses when you use Quickmail. Using this feature is optional.
- View Drafts – If you choose to save a draft email instead of sending it, this is where you would view it and other drafts you have saved.
- View History – Quickmail keeps a history of every message you send. This is where you can view all of the emails you’ve sent using Quickmail. Email history is saved individually, for each course.
Click Compose New Email
This screen allows you to choose which students in your course to send an email to. Click Add All to add all of the students in your class into the recipient list and Remove All to remove. To select individual students, highlight their name in the Potential Recipients list (hold the CTRL (PC) or CMD (Mac) key to highlight more than one) and then click Add. Use the Remove button to remove individuals.
If you use groups within your course, click a group name in the Potential Groups box to select individuals within that group.
Give your email a subject and compose your email in the Message box. You can also attach files to send, just like a regular email (NOTE: there is a 10MB email file size limit even though it says 20MB). If you created a signature, you can select which one to use in the Signatures drop-down box.
If you would like to have a copy of the email, sent to your email address, make sure Yes is selected next to Receive a copy.
Click Send Email to send out your email to the selected recipients. If you’d like to send your email at a later date, you can click Save Draft instead.
Is the message sent through Moodle mail?
Quickmail sends messages using your email address, to the recipient’s email address; it will look like any other normal email. When someone responds to the email, it will go directly to your email inbox. Quickmail is a one-way communication tool that makes sending emails to your class much easier. Once the initial message has been sent out, any further replies will be done via your normal email program (Outlook, Office365, etc.).
If I send a message to multiple students, can they see everyone else that was sent the email?
When sending an email to multiple recipients, each recipient is treated as a BCC (blind carbon copy). That means no, they can’t see anyone else that was sent the email—they will see the email as only having been sent to themselves.
Popular Help Articles
- Import Excel Data to the Gradebook
- Moodle 3.6 Dashboard Basics: Subscribing to the Site Announcements Forum
- Moodle 3.6 Dashboard Basics: Viewing Past Courses
- Moodle 3.6 Dashboard Basics: How to Hide (or Unhide) a Course
- Moodle 3.6 Dashboard Basics: How to Star (or Unstar) a Course
- Embed a MediaSpace Video in Moodle
- Moodle 3.6 Dashboard Basics: Viewing Your Current Courses
- Add a header image to your course
- Moodle 3.6 Dashboard Basics: Changing the Appearance of the Course Overview
- Moodle 3.6 Dashboard Basics: Viewing Courses for Next Term