a pebble time watch. there is a bell icon and the text says Notifications

It’s been about five months since I jumped into the world of smart watches, and I wanted to write a short review or reflection of my experience using this emerging technology.

Smart watches have been around for a while, but the technology has only become practical in the last few years, and it wasn’t until the Apple Watch came out that the idea has really come into the public eye. My own search for a smart watch began because I was already in the market for a health wearable, so I thought I might as well look at a smart watch. As someone who has come to rely on my iPhone (maybe too much), the idea of being able to offload some of my smartphone addiction onto a watch form was appealing. I did look at the Apple Watch, but for a variety of reasons (more on this later), I went with the Pebble Time. Overall, I have been quite pleased with my decision. I would definitely recommend a Pebble Time as an ideal entry-level smart watch for first time buyers, and here’s why.

Reasons to Consider a Pebble Time Versus an Apple Watch

It does all the same stuff

It’s important to know that for the most part, a Pebble Time does all the same smart watch-type stuff an Apple Watch can do. Namely, it syncs with your phone to receive notifications, displays the weather, navigates, acts as a remote for music, and monitors basic health info like daily step count and sleep tracking. You can also download apps from the Pebble app store and choose from customizable watch faces to display the time, date, and more at a glance. I’m sure there are cool features and apps that you can only get with an Apple Watch, but as far as I’m concerned, the Pebble has all of the important things covered. For me, the killer feature is being able to look at my wrist, tap a button, and see my next calendar appointment. It’s a simple thing, but has been really helpful on busy days when I’m running all over to different parts of campus.

The screen is always on

Unlike the Apple Watch screen, which stays powered off unless you flick your wrist in a “checking the time” motion, the Pebble’s e-paper display is always on. The trade off is that the screen is more similar to a Kindle than a smartphone. However, the Pebble Time makes great use of its humble screen with charming, simple graphics and animations.

The battery life is great

Despite the screen always being on, the Pebble Time usually lasts between four and seven days between charges. The Apple Watch needs to be charged daily. Best case, this would mean recharging over night, every night. I personally don’t think I would keep up with a wearable that I had to take off and recharge that often. Plus, I do like to wear my Pebble at night to keep track of my sleep, so I can try and get more someday .

It’s waterproof

Due to it’s less-than-fancy screen and construction, the Pebble Time is waterproof. I take it in the shower or swimming with no issues and without a second thought. The ability to control streaming music while in the water is awesome and makes me feel like I’m living in the future.

It works with iPhone or Android

I use an iPhone, an iPad, and a Mac, and for now, I’m happy in Apple’s ecosystem. But I do appreciate that the Pebble supports Android equally well in case I ever want or need to switch to an Android phone.

It’s much, much cheaper

The basic model, which I have, clocks in under $150. That’s substantially cheaper than an Apple Watch, which starts at $350 for the smallest, cheapest version and can get much higher depending on the options you want. It isn’t as glamorous, sure; but it’s a durable, capable, and non-ostentatious little device. If you want a classier look, they also offer the Pebble Time Steel for not much more.

So there you have it! My thoughts on the Pebble Time and why it’s worthy of your attention. If you are curious, I would say now is a great time to try this tech out and see if it fits into your lifestyle. I’m excited to see wearables play an ever increasing role in classrooms and campuses of the future.