The University of Portland Speech and Debate Union competed at the Earl Wells Memorial Speech and Debate Tournament at Oregon State University in Corvallis, Ore., over the weekend of February 22-23. Based on the team’s success, the UP Speech and Debate Union will attend the Pi Kappa Delta National Comprehensive Tournament in Indianapolis, Indiana, March 21-23. Students were awarded the following honors at the tournament in Corvallis:
- Patrick Dolan (freshman, biochemistry) won a Bronze Medal for finishing in the top 6 in the Novice division of debate.
- Lakshmi Diener (freshman, communication studies) won 3rd place in the Novice division of Persuasive Speaking.
- Elizabeth Hartley (junior, biology) won 1st place in the Open division of Extemporaneous Speaking.
- Lisa Holm (sophomore, communication studies) won a Bronze Medal for finishing in the top 6 in the Novice division of debate and won 5th best speaker in that division.
- Katie Wilson (junior, political science) won 5th best speaker in the Open division of debate.
- Karina Agbisit (freshman, environmental studies) won 4th place in the Novice division of Persuasive Speaking.
Sourced from UpBeat.