If you aren’t that familiar with Portland as you start your freshman year at UP; that’s okay! There’s a lot of the city to explore during your years on campus. One area of the city that you’ll probably become most acquainted with is North Portland—this is where UP is located! Also known as NoPo, this area of Portland has a lot to offer. It’s bordered by the Willamette and Columbia rivers, and the St. Johns neighborhood. North Portland also contains other neighborhoods, each with their own flair. UP is in the University Park neighborhood, and is surrounded by the St. Johns, Cathedral Park, Overlook, Portsmouth, and Arbor Lodge neighborhoods.
Here are some of our (the student office assistants here at CAS) favorite things to do near campus…
- The St. Johns Bridge Cathedral Park
- Located in in St. Johns, this bridge is a lovely sight to behold. Whether you’re running across to Forest Park, or lounging underneath at Cathedral Park, this is an absolutely lovely spot near campus.
- Cathedral Coffee
- A popular coffee shop for students, Cathedral Coffee is a short walk from campus. They have plenty of great drinks and snacks to choose from as you’re cramming for finals.
- St. Johns Twin Cinemas and Mcmenamins Theater and Pub
- These two theaters are a great place to catch a movie with your friends.
- Both have great food options, and there is a dining area at Mcmenamins that you can order at, and have food brought to you during the movie
- Overlook Park
- Yet another great lookout spot in Portland, at an awesome park.
- Homegrown Smoker
- Located in St. Johns, this vegan eatery is a delicious option for vegans and non-vegans alike.
- Food trucks
- The St. Johns food truck pod is also a wonderful place to go eat with friends after a long day of studying.
- Village Ballroom
- They often times host cool events, and even have square dancing.
- The Willamette River
- Portland’s own Willamette river is right by campus. Go there for a great view.
- Taco Bell
- A real classic place to get fast food as a college student. Also located walking distance from campus 😎
- Cha Cha Cha
- A great place to grab some food with friends, or even get something delivered. I personal love their burritos!
These are just some of the many things to do in the community around UP! If you have any other ideas of great places for students, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.