Molly Hightower, a UP alumna, was serving at an orphanage in Haiti when the 2010 Haiti earthquake struck. Unfortunately, we lost Molly that day. In the wake of this tragedy, the ASUP Senate decided to honor Molly in the best way they knew how – by serving others. Now, every semester the entire Senate sets aside a day to serve the Portland community and remember the passion with which Molly served others. This day is know as the Molly Hightower Day of Service.
Past Days of Service
- Fall 2013 – Canned Food Drive
- Spring 2014 – Fundraiser at Burgerville for relief after Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest typhoons on record, devastated the Philippines the fall of 2013
- Fall 2014 – Partnered with SOLVE, an Oregon non-profit organization with the mission to improve the environment, in cleaning up Northwest Portland
- Fall 2016 – Night Strike Event under the Burnside Bridge in Downtown Portland to help provide services to those experiencing homelessness
- Spring 2016 – Participated in a Friends of Trees event, in which members of the Portland community come together to plant trees throughout the city