On 16 July 2020, a crosstown agreement between University of Portland and Oregon Institute of Technology (Oregon Tech) – Portland Metro Campus was signed! A crosstown agreement allows students to attend an institution while simultaneously taking Air Force ROTC classes at the host university, University of Portland. The Air Force ROTC General Military Course and/or Professional Officer Course is available to qualified students of Oregon Tech who desire to earn appointments as commissioned officers in the United States Air Force. This is the first crosstown agreement that has been added in over 14 years, the last being Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Portland Center in 2006.
At Detachment 695, there are approximately 10 crosstown students and 50 UP students. The experience for our crosstown students is relatively similar to those students who attend UP. As a student and a crosstown cadet, you should be prepared for the following program participation requirements:
- Aerospace Studies Class: This is a 1.5 hour class on Tuesdays with your year group (freshmen, sophomores, etc.).
- Leadership Laboratory: This is a 2 hour class on Tuesdays with the entire cadet wing. During this time, you will also break out into your specific training group (initial military training, field training preparation, and professional officer course).
- Physical Training (PT): You need to attend at least one physical training session with the detachment each week (most crosstown students attend the PT session offered right after leadership lab). Additionally, you will need to log one PT session at your own discretion.
Cadet Third Class (C/3C) Nainoa Klindt has been a crosstown student for 2 years. He attends Portland State University and is majoring in business management. “Being apart of AFROTC has been one of the most empowering and best decisions I have ever made,” Cadet Klindt remarks. “From being around highly driven individuals, to constantly being influenced to improve both myself and others in terms of leadership, I am very proud of this program and how it has impacted me. At first, I thought being a crosstown cadet would be a difficult feat to manage – rather; it has become the most straightforward and rewarding tasks I perform during my busy weekly schedules. I look forward to learning to be a greater Airman and human through this program.”
A list of our main crosstown schools can be found below:
- Clackamas Community College, Oregon City, OR
- Clark College, Vancouver, WA
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Portland, OR
- George Fox University, Newberg, OR
- Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR
- Linfield College, McMinnville, OR
- Mount Hood Community College, Gresham, OR
- Oregon Institute of Technology, Portland, OR
- Pacific University, Forest Grove, OR
- Portland Community College, Portland, OR
- Portland State University, Portland, OR
- Reed College, Portland, OR
- Washington State University at Vancouver, Vancouver, WA
- Willamette University, Salem, OR
If you are a freshmen or rising sophomore enrolled full-time at one of our crosstown schools and are interested in joining Air Force ROTC, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.